Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My Chinese School & Relaxing

Today I am going to show you around my school! But first, I should explain something, I say "our" and "my" a lot in reference to my time in China. It's essential that you understand that the Chinese are a very kind people, and those who are even just on the street want to please you. Help you however they can. And in China, relationships are hard and strong fast. So, for example, girls are close and very friendly, and often hold hands or walk arm in arm, which they do because they have deep, strong relationships. In fact, Betty really wanted my blog address and email today, and said "I counted down the days on the calendar until you leave and I already miss you." I had a Chinese best friend on the other side of the world my whole life, and it only took me 24 years to find her. :)

 Welcome to Yongkang Renmin Primary School!

You are looking at the only entrance to the school. It's how students come in and out, well, how everyone comes in and out. There are a team (like 4 maybe?) security guards who work from the little building on the left. They let people in and out, keep track of keys, and send kids on their way to class if they linger behind during passing periods. 

This is the view from the gate. The Chinese call it a school, and it is only one school, but it's more like a campus: it will help if you think of it like that. 

Oh, we know her! Awwww, a first day of school picture! Momma, add it to the binder. 

The students greeted Larry and I with flowers. Precious. Also, Larry is a ham. He's very very good at international relations. Seriously. They LOVE him here!

I told them how to change the wording, but they didn't add Larry's last name, so it sounds like we're married. So, we'll work on that differentiation... Yeah...

Our principal said that when she visited, she was interested in how well constructed the buildings were. She wasn't joking. They kind of feel like a hospital, because the hallways are all white and there is a lot of white tile. But the classrooms and offices are very colorful and reflect the personality of the students within them.

This is the playground... Party time!

This faces the main educational building on campus. To the left, that building is offices, and then on the bottom floor are dance, calligraphy, art, and music classrooms. On the upper floors are a gym for when it rains and the administration and elder teachers' offices. And my office, because they wouldn't let me be with the other English teachers. 

The view down from my office window. This is what happens between every class. The kids have ten minutes where they just go wild. Like WILD. As in, MOVE or get MOWED down. It could get ugly if you don't move fast enough. 

The view out my office window during a break. A better view of the academic building. The kids stay in one classroom all day, and different teachers of different classes come to them. On the left is a sign which was put up for International Children's Day. International, but I've never heard of it. Come on 'Merica, celebrate the kids! :)

A popular game the kids play where they pull on each other's shirts from behind. They all play together grades 1-3, but by the time they are 4-6, they are grossed out by the opposite sex. So, universal. 'Cause boys are gross. 

Pictures from last week's Children's Day Program. The students wrote their dreams on little slips of paper, and then all the papers were put together into the shape of China, which has a heart around the capital Beijing. Precious. #Keepingthedreamalive #longhashtag #youknow #whoyouare #inAmerica ;) 

So, this is kind of like what a lot of elementary school teachers in America do, where you can earn stars or smileys, etc for good behavior in class. They have charts like that in each individual class. However, once a week, they are graded as a class (of 60 students mind you) on cleanliness, discipline, etc. 

This is my office. Not too shabby for Melanie. Too bad I'm peaking when I'm 24.



My door. I'm told the middle white part says that it's the foreign teacher's office. Where's Yi-Chen to translate when I need her? :) 

So, the kids had a welcoming ceremony for Larry and I. More flowers than I had at my wedding. Cray-cray. 

And Josh came too. He's the government official from our province who set everything up with Larry. The kids LOVE him and he reacts to them... Well, how most non-teachers/parents would react to to children they spent two weeks with non-stop. Besties.

 Josh, Larry, me, and the vice-mayor in Yongkang, and the precious students. They only wear uniforms on Mondays. There is one mayor and several vice mayors, this is the one in charge of education, it's a really big deal that he took time out of his very busy schedule to come to the welcoming ceremony. 

The principal getting ready to present a gift. Gifts are a very big deal in Chinese culture. I was really relieved the principal and Betty and her parents liked their gifts. :)

Larry and I with the school seal.

The school seal. The three children are characters from Ancient Chinese, and they mean something school-y. Probably like "loyalty, honor, service" or something. Someone should probably use that slogan. It's berry good. (Sorry it's late, my puns are getting worse by the minute.)

Then, they took us on a tour of the school. This is the gallery. The students study ancient Chinese calligraphy twice a week with one of the assistant principals. Betty says that in China, they don't want typed resumes, because your handwriting tells a lot about you, more than a resume could. Which means almost EVERY man in America should stay in America. (And my sister, Kasey.) There is no hope for you here. 

The calligraphy classroom.

Showing him his son's calligraphy. 

Some of the student artwork.

So sweet. :)

Then, the administration wanted to take us out to lunch. So Larry the ham and I went to lunch. Buddhas in China are good luck. Women and men wear certain kinds. In Disney World on our honeymoon, Mike and I took a picture with a similar one... Where was that? Oh, that's right. That should probably surface again. 

You're welcome. 

They wanted to see if we thought Yongkang food is better than Jinhua food. Larry had to be diplomatic, but I said YUP. BETTER. 

Except for the tounge of duck (or maybe goose) and one of Yongkang's many specialties, duck liver. I tried one of the two. I AM VERY BRAVE. It's probably because I'm American, right?

The gift they gave Larry and I. Beautiful box which holds two very nice tea holders. I need to learn to drink tea STAT.

Then, I taught three classes... But I will tell more about that tomorrow...Which was EXHAUSTING. Me vs. 60 students. I won 2-1 on the scoreboard. First round was a lot of confusion on both sides. Then, this conversation happened. 
Betty: Oh, did you wash your hair today?
Me: Uhhhh...
Betty: Like, wash it? Your hair?
Me: Yes...?
Betty: Oh, because about 2-3 times a week I get my hair washed.
Me: Wait, what?
Betty: Like go to the beauty shop and get my hair washed. 
Me: ...Why?
Betty: ...Because it's more convenient.
Me: Um, oh. That's cool...
Betty: So, do you mind getting your hair washed twice today?
Me: Sure. But if you come to America, you're washing your own hair, friend. 

Don't know what to expect here...

Betty has LOTS of hair. It's actually impressive. They putt a little water, a little shampoo, a little more, a little shampoo and then they swirl it, swirly it, massage your head--and never need to use a sink!

Massage, massage, swirl, swirl.

Betty getting her hair washed out. 

Then, because they weren't done downstairs and they were busy, we got a head, neck and arm massage while we waited for a hairdresser. I had the salon cracking up because they would tickle me sometimes and my laugh would startle everyone. And they massaged HARD. I have a few bruises. Such a weakling.

Then, I went downstairs and met Longfingernail, the Great Hair Wizard. I think that's his real name. I mean I'm pretty sure. He spoke no English, but he did speak HAIR.

The final product. I could get used to this. Thank you, Great Wizard.

We went home, and saw baby girl for a few minutes before we ate. 

Then, we went for a walk. The river is right across the street, so we walk along the path. Exercise is a huge staple of Chinese life. You make time to go for a walk. And you don't dress up or do anything special, you just make sure to walk. 


Beautiful.

Beautiful view. 

In summation, I might not come home. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for finding the time to share with us! I am just in awe of the initial exchanges you've had so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg and I were cracking up over these blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MEL geeze you are so dang funny. Why dont you blog all the time?

    ReplyDelete