Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Simultaneously adorable and hilarious.

Today was my last full day in Yongkang. Betty was determined to make it a smooth and calm transition from Yongkang toward heading home, and I am so glad she did. During the day I wrote many, many letters to my colleagues at school thanking them for how they have touched my life, poked my head in many classrooms, and played/talked with some kids during class breaks. My colleagues loved their letters, even putting them all together so they could take pictures of all the letters together. I also tried my very best Chinese writing, which they said made sense. I don't know if they are lying but, they were very sweet. 

I also got cards from all of my colleagues which were wonderful. I asked, and they said they wouldn't mind if I shared some of their comments with you. I won't share everything, but so many of their words were so kind. I share these mostly so you can see the bond that has formed between my colleagues and I and how that was all possible because of the efforts of the town of Logansport and Jinhua and their respective, incredible school departments and governments. Beth, Jitka, and I may have been the first to come, but we will certainly not be the last to create these relationships and memories. 

"Time is passing so fast. In such a short time, I'm really happy to spend time with you. Your smile is so sincere, you sing songs so affectionately, and you dance so wonderfully. These things all leave me a deep impression, because I have learned a lot from you..." (WAIT, when did I dance?!)

"You have been in China for such a short time, but I still feel it is not enough. I learned so much from you, and I wish you could stay at our school longer so I can continue communicating with you and learning. But you must go come... 'Lively' is my impression of you because you always smile, and are so funny and happy...'" 

"During your stay, I was deeply impressed by your hearty laughter, kindness, humourousness, enthusiasm, patience, and lively classes. Wow, too many to count. I want to tell you [that when I saw your wedding picture] I mistook you for Kate Middleton, the princess of Britain, especially your smile. Thank you again for your valuable advice on pronunciation and teaching..." 

I must say that 1) I obviously must have a loud laugh, but I think I knew that already and 2) she thought I looked like Kate Middleton in my wedding picture?! Wahoo! These are examples of the beginning of a LONG, BEAUTIFUL friendship between myself and my friends here in China, and also part of the learning between two countries which will impact our students positively in ways we can't even know yet.

Onward...

Here's a look at what happens every day after school. Peddlers crowd outside the school gates to sell food and trinkets to the children and parents leaving the school. I bet they hate summer vacation, and it starts after Friday.

The parents waiting for their kids at the end of the day. Tight fit for everyone to walk or drive through.

Then, Betty and I went to pick up some pictures from Dow's recent photoshoot. And thus commenced the most adorable AND hilarious part of my day. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME ASIAN BABIES?!
Warning: They are so cute, you might explode. 

How the magic happens. Photoshop, but a lower version than I used at KHS when I was on newspaper in 2006-2007. 

Angel Baby Bunny with a Bucket, coming for your kisses!

Anchors away, says baby bunny!

I'm just in this basket. Eatin' some grapes. Reciting "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

Look out world, here we come!

Jaunty. 

Ridin' and packin' the heat.


Look out, NYPD to the rescue. 

He's over the Atlantic Ocean. Because he's NYPD, but he's clearly in London.

One of these caterpillars is not so happy about becoming a butterfly. By the way, I asked Betty why Chinese parents have their kids do this, and she said they do it because all Americans do it. To which I replied, WHAT?! And apparently Anne Geddes (who is Australian) speaks for all Americans. Asian babies should rise up against her for this...

Rudolph, the pink princess.

Just me. The chef in the kitchen. Makin' some... Wine? What can you really make with grapes?

Ringo Starr meets Asia. 

Who is the cutest little bear in town?

Thrice the bunny, thrice the adorable factor.

The stewards and the little pilot.

OH. MY. GOSH. I cried laughing inside when I saw this. The lyrics to R. Kelly's (which is ironic in itself, it's a baby album, awkward!) "I Believe I Can Fly.

Baby Future Gandalf.

70's country housekeeper with a 20's telephone.

I... I'm at a loss for words. 

Look what I caught in the moat today! He's a keeper!

So adorable.

THIS IS MY FAVORITE COSTUME. I just want to eat this little dragon up!

Wait, we know this sweet girl! It's my favorite little Dow baby! What a pretty girl. 

Then, on the way home, we got caught in the typical China traffic. This is every time we go out, friends. Ain't no rules on these roads. Actually, I am really impressed with Betty and everyone who drives here. It's crazy!

My third and final trip to the hairdresser. 

Wait, a Shampoo Boy instead of a girl?! I wonder how this is going to go...

Remember, they massage your head and arms and shoulders, and you get so relaxed... He was very good at the relaxation bit. I would almost be asleep and then... BAM. 

"GOODBYE MUSCLES!"

Sometimes I think I have too much fun in these situations. 

My last Chinese haircut from the Grand Wizard. I wanted to put him in my pocket and take him home to American where he could work his magic every day, but he only speaks Chinese. *sigh*

Then Beautiful Betty. This is her Chinese smile. 

This is her laughing because I said she had to do her American smile. Which do YOU like better?
(American smile wins every time, right?!)

Betty and I took a walk down the sidewalks around Yongkang. I will not  miss people parking on the sidewalks and every which way, regardless of how nice their car is and how high the curb is... Chinese drivers are both brave and plentiful.

We went to the bakery one last time to get breakfast for the next morning before I leave for Jinhua and Shanghai to head home.

And I had my first taste of Chinese fast food. It's like fast food in America, except there are chefs in the background actually cooking food. So not American fast food. Yummy Chinese food!

Sitting and eating.

I LOVED the lamps in the restaurant.

My last meal in Yongkang. Yummm. Except for the sprouts, which I am not a big fan of. But don't worry, after one month in China, I am wicked good with chopsticks skills, so I picked them out with no problem. Betty was proud.

In America, we have salt and pepper and a napkin dispenser. Here, soy sauce and two hot sauces. You'd be surprised how SPICY the Chinese like their food! And if you point out that it is spicy, they always talk about another province that has really spicy food. Which would probably make my head spin around and pop off ala Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Ok, let's play find the trashcan. Because Melanie had a BIG fail here. It's the little box to the left. Took me three tries and lots of laughter to find it.

Then, finally, tonight I asked if I could go see Betty and her husband's school. Students usually go to extra classes at night, and Betty and her husband run a school for students in grades 3-6 to learn English. They have classes 2 or 3 times a week for two hours each class to help them improve their English skills. Students also continue doing it into the summer. I wanted to see what one of these schools would look like!

I met two of the classes of 6th graders who were wild and very smart. I brought pictures, introduced my family and then played games with them. I really wanted them to hear a native speaker talking at a normal pace. They did a great job.  

Tomorrow, I say goodbye to my colleagues, school, and host family, and head to Shanghai. I am admittedly excited to return home and sleep in my own bed, and especially excited to see my husband because he is so busy during summer camp that I haven't gotten to talk to him much. But I have, as the Chinese say, "made such wonderful memories" here, and have come to love this country and its people. It will certainly be a bittersweet goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. I was peeing my pants during the baby photos. SOOOOO Funny! You've had quite a run. Glad you're coming back to USA. We've missed ya!

    ReplyDelete