Sunday, June 16, 2013

They Take Naps. For Like an Hour.

I went an observed some classes Thursday, and my favorite to watch was the music class. The teacher was an extremely talented musician (like most music teachers), but what impressed me about her was how she translated her musicality to work for young kids. They sang some songs and then played their instruments. When I was their age, I played the recorder in school, but they get to play these sweet guys...

Hysterical. I tried to catch them playing all these American short songs, but the teacher had one of the students come back and share hers with me, so she played the top while I played the bottom and it was really fun. Of course, in true fashion, only a third of them had brought their instruments. So the rest of the kids had to sing the note and play along on their books. 

At lunch, I saw this little guy looking pretty patriotic. I said Smile, he said, well that. 

The kids were having a blast waiting for their food. Playing games, catching up. They definitely reminded me of allllll elementary kids around the world. :)

Meanwhile, they crack me up figuring out ways to sneak a peak at me. Besides ads, I'm the first white person this first grader has probably seen. She borrowed her friend's umbrella and stood right by me. Hey girl. I see you. She's a cutie.

Now. I have seen some impressive rat-tails on children. But this one takes the cake. I think he could help with an extra jump rope! In the meantime, his friends are trying to sneak a peak at me. I really don't mind when kids look or talk or ask questions, because they are super honest.

Remember how I said the kids have a nap time every day? Each day after lunch, the kids have about an hour long nap. The older ones sleep like this because they are too big to sleep otherwise.

I think it's a great idea, but the kids come back from their naps like springs: BOING BOING BOING ENERGYYYYY EVERYWHERE! Suddenly I feel like I'm inside of a beehive. Overall though, great idea, and let me be honest: I'm. Super. Jealous.

Some of the younger ones or well-behaved students sometimes can get a mat or cot. The kids rotate.

Night night.

I thought this kid's fade was hysterical. AND AWESOME. Take that uniform day. 

After work Betty and I went to get our hair styled. After wild and crazy work days, I love and agree with Betty and her colleague's analysis of the relaxation factor. Unfortunately, the Great Hair Wizard was busy on another client, so I met his fellow hair magician Warlock Medium Nail who also produced stunning results. 

Ohhhhh, I love you, ChinaHair. You look so much better than AmericanHair, my lifelong nemesis. I bet you're wondering how much it would cost, because the first time I got the message, hair washing, and then having this done, I thought-- well, worth the $20. Nope. $2.50. TWO. DOLLARS. AND. FIFTY. THis is not a drill. No wonder everyone goes! I heard everything in China was cheap, but while that is sometimes true, not always. This however, is an awesome China perk.

Then, we went home for dinner and family fun time. There is Betty on the left, her Mom, and then Dow, there beautiful generations of a Chinese family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment