Monday, June 24, 2013

Why I feel Grinch-y.

I posted two blog posts today, so if you missed my post before this about my very favorite day during my Chinese adventure, make sure to read it first! :)

Somehow my trip in China is winding down. And all of a sudden tonight as I write this blog, it's hitting me that I'm really leaving in just a few short days. Before this trip began, I was so excited for such an awesome cultural opportunity and opportunity for my career. But somewhere in the English lessons and traveling and eating wonderful food, 
I felt Grinch-y. 

I don't think I was a bad person in America by any means. I like myself. But, during this trip, I felt my heart growing. I learned something my dad told me about when I was really little. He traveled to Thailand and various other places in the army, as well as growing up in a very culturally diverse suburb of Detroit. He taught me that all people are worth knowing. All people on this earth have something to teach you, and a way to touch your heart and help you grow. And that's exactly what happened. I smiled at everyone, so that if I was the only American they met in their lives, they thought Americans were happy. But I realized, why not do this all the time? Why waste life not smiling through every minute? 

My dad and I at Landis Elementary when I was in third grade.
Landis is my Chinese school's sister school. We come full circle.

I laughed at my mistakes and learned from their generosity. People mess up. I have spent my entire life apologizing profusely for any little thing. But it's ok to make mistakes. You don't have to take life so deathly seriously. I learned about the importance of flexibility. Plans change, things switch around, but that's ok. Why  did I freak out sometimes and waste stress over something I could not control in America? People are still going out of their way to help you, teach you something in your life's journey, so you have the responsibility to do that for them. 

So, my heart grew three sizes this month. And that made me feel grinch-y.
BUT, I digress, and I'm sure you're tiring of my soliloquy.

These are my second graders who were my last class in China. We learned together about "Up" and "Down." We learned what the words look like, and what they mean. I don't speak Chinese; they don't speak English. But somehow, we had the time of our lives together. 

We "Grand Old Duke of York"-ed, rode bicycles up and down hills, and competed fiercely for the title of "Up" and "Down" kings and queens. They were tiny; they were wild. But they were a lot of fun and wicked smart. My last day at school isn't until tomorrow, but today was my last day teaching. This group of 2nd graders were a perfect last class. 

The other English teachers are too kind and have been giving me going-away gifts. They are all accompanied with wonderful notes, which I read and stowed away the words in my heart. This gift is from Susan, who said that because I had said I wanted one boy and one girl someday (though, of course, I would be happy to be blessed with any child), she said these represent my two future children. She wishes for good fortune and happiness for myself and my family. I think they are adorable! 

I think it's appropriate that my "babies" are also banks. Because that's where all the money I make will go. Riiiiight into the babies. (Sorry, mom.)

Ohhhh, how I love them. This is my English department and close friends. In order left to right:
Lydia who teaches 1st, 3rd, and 5th grades
Paula who teaches 5th grade
Susan who teaches 4th grade
Doreen who teaches 6th grade
Me who taught all grades
Dong qing mei who teachers computer classes
Lilly who teaches 1st, 2nd, and 6th grade
and finally beautiful Betty who teaches 3rd grade

This is my favorite, favorite picture. Laughing and smiling, how we spend our time together as we learn and teach.

Then, tonight, I spent a lot of time packing and spending time with the family. Nigel and Pom Pom came by to say goodbye, and I gave my gifts to them. Nigel loves hats, so I gave him an IU hat, and Pom Pom an IU bball shirt. I love these guys. 

Look at this HOOSIER conversion in China! Ahhh, this is the way the world should be, right?

Last but not least, I got to spend time with sweet Dow baby. Smile!

I showed her lots of important American icons. 

We love to laugh together! Sweet girl, thank you for letting me borrow your room for a month!

I introduced her to the English department at LHS, since she already met the English department in China. She thought they had style. She really liked Jess's hair and jacket.

Her favorite picture was of Addie, my niece. She would laugh like Addie is laughing in the picture when I would pop it up from behind the blanket. 

My favorite thing: I taught her who Mike was. I would point at a picture and say "Mike!" and then would give her a new picture and say "where's Mike?" and she would always find him in a picture because of his hat. I am going to miss her, and especially her smile. 

Sorry for being so sentimental this post, but for some reason God gave me the opportunity to remind me of the best version of me this summer, and it came unexpectedly in a foreign country. So though I still have posts to write and places to go and see, and though this is certainly not the end of my blogging, I give my first thanks to China. You made my heart grow three sizes today.

3 comments:

  1. I have loved each and every blog entry of yours! You've been a wonderful representative of America and Logansport. Enjoy the rest of your week...safe travels home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LIP SYNC PHOTO? OMGosh, did we traumatize her? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I'm glad you shared the message from your father and your feelings. (I know you're already back in the U.S. now. I got a little behind on my reading, but I am so glad I got a chance to catch up tonight!

    ReplyDelete